Thursday 3 July 2008

Wimbledon


As much as I like tennis I couldn’t say I was an avid watcher of it, in fact the only time I really take an interest is when Wimbledon is on. Obviously I am aware of the other three Grand Slams but because of the time difference of two of them and the lack of coverage of the French Open usually I tend not to watch any of them. Wimbledon on the other hand I usually get quite excited about and will watch a lot of the matches (if I am not working, which I am currently not). There is something about Wimbledon which sets it apart from any other tennis tournament and every year all tennis players look out for Wimbledon. I'm not suggesting it's a better tournament than the US or Australian however it is different and has something quite special about it the other three don't appear to have.

All the talk in this country at least has been about Murray and on Monday night he provided one of the great Wimbledon comebacks coming from two sets down to win 3-2 against world number 8 Gasquet. Unfortunately for Murray the quarter-final opponent that stood in his way was one Rafael Nadal who is at the moment the best player on tour and is tipped to finally win the Wimbledon title that Roger Federer has dominated for several years gone by.

You can help but not like Nadal who comes across off court as a genuine guy and on court he is a master with a tennis racket. My money is on him to win the tournament because I seriously don’t want Roger winning another. The final looks like it will be a repeat of last year and a repeat of the French open final with number one and reigning champion Roger Federer against hotly tipped and 5 time French Open Champion Nadal.

In the Women’s draw the final looks like it will be an all American all Williams final. Venus Williams is currently destroying number 5 seed Dementieva and her sister Serena faces the un-seeded Chinese Zheng. Who despite knocking out some big seeds will surely not be able to beat the power of Serena Williams? So for the Williams family another final for the two sisters’ beckons, the question is who will the Williams family support?

No comments: