Thursday 17 July 2008

2008 Albums: Mystery Jets - Twenty One


Rewind two years and Mystery Jets had released ‘Making Dens’ one of the best British debut albums for some years. It should’ve really been nominated for a Mercury Music Award that year but alas I’m sure it wasn’t and some other band who probably didn’t deserve it as much won it.

Two years later Mystery Jets release ‘Twenty One’ that difficult second album but produced by the genius that is Erol Alkan. Erol for me had some work to because I didn’t like The Long Blondes album ‘Couples’ which he produced. However I don’t think it was his production that was the problem but anyway I’ve already been there.

Thankfully the combination of one of the best British bands and one of the best producers around at the moment was the perfect duo. To say that this album is better than ‘Making Dens’ is extremely difficult for me to say because I loved that album. However for a band to make an album so different but at the same time so good is pretty fucking impressive. That band is Mystery Jets, what a contrast ‘Twenty One’ is to ‘Making Dens’ but that is definitely a good thing. Progression is important for any band and changing your sound as you further your career can definitely be a positive thing.

I think in the case of Mystery Jets ‘Twenty One’ has definitely meant they have found some new fans and at the same time kept the old fans still very happy. My girlfriend is the perfect example of a new fan and I am the example of the old, both of us are very happy with the new album. ‘Hideaway’ is one of the best opening tracks to an album I’ve heard for a while and I’ve read the band start their live set with it too, perfect.

Singles ‘Young Love’, ‘Flakes’ and ‘Two Doors Down’ are pretty much dance floor anthems. Anytime I’ve been a club and ANY of those three have come on the dance floor fills and alcohol filled enthusiasts dance their hearts away and sing at the top of their voices.

Other songs that deserve a special mention definitely include ‘Veiled In Grey’, ‘MJ’, ‘Hand Me Down’, ‘First To Know’ and my personal favourite ‘Half In Love With Elizabeth’. Mystery Jets have definitely taken a more 80’s pop sound with this album but in the case of this album that is no way a bad thing. Well done Erol and very well done you Mystery Jets.

8.8/10

No comments: