Friday 18 July 2008

2008 Albums: Best Of The Rest (Part Three)

Operator Please – Yes Yes Vindictive

Technically this album was released in this country this year back in March, although most of us had many months before the UK release date. Looking back I enjoyed the album a lot more on it’s release then I do now, I think Operator Please are one of those bands you enjoy for the moment but when it comes down to it they aren’t really as good as you thought. Having said that the album has a few really good songs like ‘Get What You Want’, ‘Leave It Alone’ and ‘Ghost’ and not ‘Just A Song About Ping Pong’ which has become pretty annoying.

6/10

Lightspeed Champion – Falling Off The Lavender Bridge

‘Falling Off The Lavender Bridge’ has 3 really, really good songs: ‘Midnight Surprise’, ‘Galaxy Of The Lost’ and the best of the three ‘Tell Me What Its Worth’. Other than that the album is distinctly average but for those three songs the album definitely deserves a mention of albums of 2008. Dev definitely has potential as well as seen with Test Icicles and Lightspeed Champion so I do expect the next album to be better than this one.

6/10

Hot Club De Paris – Live At Dead Lake

After loving ‘Drop It Til It Pops’ I immediately assumed I would love the new album by the Liverpool trio Hot Club De Paris. I was a little disappointed actually with the new album and to me there weren’t really many good points on the album. There was no ‘Shipwreck’ or ‘Your Face Looks All Wrong’ and despite seeing the album done quite well in many reviews I am going to have to disagree and say the album is not a very good one. I may live to regret this review when the album grows on me (like the first did) and I love it but at the moment I am not that much of fan.

5/10

No comments: