Thursday 17 July 2008

2008 Albums: Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster...


Welsh seven piece Los Campesinos! released their much anticipated debut album back at the end of February titled ‘Hold On Now, Youngster’ and it got much praise from Drowned in Sound and Pitchfork. Although NME only gave it a measly 6 out of 10 and said it lacked cohesiveness, er ok NME.

‘Hold On Now, Youngster’ still pretty much remains the album I most tap my foot to or nod my head along to from this year. It also gets the most plays in the car when we are going on long drives, although it’s not really stereotypical long drive music now is it? Either way it’s pretty good to listen to in the car…

I always knew it would be a good album because the band has got their head screwed on; it could’ve been very easy to make an album which was aimed at the mainstream. The album could have turned out sounding too polished and I’m sure many of us would’ve panned it. Thankfully Los Campesinos! did what they wanted to do for an album and have created a great debut album. They are also signed to a great label in Wichita who will let them get on with what they want to do with their music as they have done with other bands like The Cribs, Bloc Party and now the great Les Savy Fav.

‘You! Me! Dancing!’ is obviously the Los Campesinos! anthem and at 6 minutes 46 seconds is something of an anthem. Everybody I talk to always says ‘Y!M!D!’ is their favourite track from the album but I find it hard to just say one track which I class as my favourite. The album is packed full of favourites: ‘Drop It Doe Eyes’, ‘Knee Deep At ATP’, ‘This Is How You Spell “Hahaha, We Destroyed The Hopes And Dreams Of A Generation Of Faux-Romantics’ ‘… And We Exhale And Roll Our Eyes In Unison’ and ‘Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats’ are all considered my favourites from the album.

But I don’t think there is a weak song on the album because when I look over the songs I’ve forgotten to mention like ‘My Year In Lists’, ‘Death To Los Campesinos!’, ‘Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks’, ‘We Are All Accelerated Readers’ and ‘Don’t Tell Me To Do The Math(s)’ I remember what a strong album ‘Hold On Now, Youngster’ really is.

9/10

No comments: