Friday 18 July 2008

2008 Albums: Best Of The Rest (Part Two)

The Futureheads – This Is Not The World

You have to have major respect for The Futureheads who were dropped from their label 679 after the second album did not have much success, but they came back on their own. They’ve recorded and released the third album ‘This Is Not The World’ off their own backs and I have much respect for them for doing so. I was hoping as much as the next person for a perfect third album because I love this band so much. Unfortunately the album did not live up to my expectations, but it does have some great moments ‘Radio Heart’ being the best. Others include first single ‘Beginning Of The Twist’, ‘Walking Backwards’ and ‘Think Tonight’.

7/10

Hot Chip – Made In The Dark

How could any band make an album better than ‘The Warning’? Well, Hot Chip definitely managed it with ‘Made In The Dark’ although some will argue that nothing can really beat the first album. The second album is definitely on par with it and I am leaning towards thinking it just pips it. So many great songs just like the opener ‘Out At The Pictures’ and of course more obvious greats like ‘Shake A Fist’, ‘Ready For The Floor’ and ‘Touch Too Much’. The hits don’t stop there though because songs like ‘Wrestlers’, ‘Bendable Poseable’ and ‘One Pure Thought’ are just as impressive as the previously mentioned songs. Hot Chip has definitely recorded the best alternative dance record of the year.

9/10

Pete & The Pirates – Little Death

Pete & The Pirates released ‘Little Death’ in early part of 2008 and I have to admit after a few listens when it first came back it is not an album I have returned to over the year. This probably says something about what I think of the album, I don’t dislike the band or the album but it’s just a bit middle of the road for me. It doesn’t do anything for me despite there being some obvious high points like ‘Come On Feet’, ‘Moving’, ‘Knots’ and ‘Mr Understanding’ which happens to be a very good song to play an indie club. Overall Pete & The Pirates have created an album that you can imagine people forgetting in a few years, shame.

5/10

The Wave Pictures – Instant Coffee Baby

The Wave Pictures debut album ‘Instant Coffee Baby’ is quite a hard album to immediately like but after a few listens it is an album you find yourself enjoying it. One of the things which is so great about the band is the unique sound of the vocals and the obscure lyrics but behind that there are some great songs. Opening track ‘Leave The Scene Behind’ is a great example of that, ‘Friday Night In Loughborough’ is another brilliant 3 minute 27 seconds of music. ‘I Remembered’, ‘Strange Fruit For David’ and of course the stand out single ‘I Love You Like A Madman’ are all pretty fantastic moments from this album. This album is a very good effort for a debut album.

7/10

The Subways – All Or Nothing

You know what this album is my guilty pleasure of 2008, I always quite liked the first album ‘Young For Eternity’ but for some reason I hardly ever listened to it. The Subways new album ‘All Or Nothing’ is a definitely a louder, heavier approach and it’s one I am preferring to the previous sound. I can imagine if I was a 14 year old boy this album would really impress me and I read a quote from Alexei from Johnny Foreigner who said “We still don’t l-o-v-e The Subways but if yr a lil kid taking yr first steps into rock music you could do loads worse. I’ve never seen a band rock out in soundcheck like they do; whatever yr opinions on how credible they are, they’re certainly in this business for the morally right reasons.” ‘All Or Nothing’ is heavier but I definitely prefer songs like ‘Alright’, ‘Boys & Girls’, ‘Kalifornia’ and ‘Shake! Shake!’ to any songs from the first album.

7/10

No comments: