Tuesday 29 July 2008

Metronomy - Nights Out


I’m not really sure what to make of this album, I like a bit of electronic as much as the next person y’know but sometimes I find it hard listening to songs with no lyrics. Especially songs which are almost 4 minutes with no words (like ‘End Of You Too’ on this album). Having said for Metronomy the album would not work without those songs sandwiched in between other songs.

Radio Ladio’ is the first single to crop up as you listen to ‘Nights Out’ and to me it still remains the best single by Metronomy to date. When you heard it you knew immediately it was going to be a great hit for the band and since then I’ve heard it countless amounts of times in indie clubs and it always goes down extremely well. Rightfully so as well because it’s a really infectious single and you can’t help singing “R-A-D-I-OOOOOOOOOO. L-A-D-I-OOOOOOOOOO.”

‘My Heart Rate Rapid’ which was released as a single back in April and despite not being as big as the previous single is definitely as good as the previous song. When I first listened to it I was hooked immediately to some of the really toe tapping moments to the song.

‘Heartbreaker’ is going to be the next single and it is so far my favourite song on the record. Softer vocals and quieter music makes this song definitely an excellent moment on this record. “I heard she broke your heart, that girl’s a heartbreaker” sings lead singer Joseph. I’m getting the feeling Joe’s had his heart broken, poor guy.

‘On The Motorway’ is the shortest track on the album at 2 minutes 37 seconds but what it lacks in length it makes up for in quality. This song oozes cool, it feels like a typical Metronomy song. Current single ‘Holiday’ still is yet to grow on me but I have the feeling it could easily do so because there are some terrific moments in the song. You can’t help loving the vocals on this song, slowed down at times and really squeaky high at other times, such an interesting but at the same time fantastic combination. ‘Back On The Motorway’ and ‘On Dancefloors’ end the album on a high point for me.

Overall ‘Nights Out’ is a superb album and there are definitely more good spots than bad times, this is a record that would be perfect at a party.

7.5/10

No comments: