Monday 28 July 2008

The Dark Knight


On the way to the cinema I felt strange, I was actually worried. I’d read all the great reviews (both Total Film and Empire gave The Dark Knight a perfect 5 out of 5). I’d read some people suggesting it was the “greatest film ever” but I was worried the film would not fulfil all the hype. Why should I be worried about it? It’s just a film… but after seeing Batman Begins and reading so much about The Dark Knight I wanted it desperately to be good.

So, the verdict. It wasn’t good at all. It was fucking fantastic. It’s not very often I go to the cinema and leave the cinema feeling quite how I felt on Saturday night. When I left the cinema I knew I’d seen one of the greatest films of my generation so far. That is quite some statement but one I feel pretty strongly about. I’ve never in my life gone to see a film more than once at a cinema but come Wednesday afternoon I’ll be in my local Odeon watching The Dark Knight again.

Heath Ledger is obviously going to get all the press from the film and rightfully so for his performance. I am of the opinion that his performance of The Joker succeeded Jack Nicholson’s portrayal of The Joker in 1989. Understandably his death has made it hard for fans of his to watch the film in the same way, but it shouldn’t. If you was ever going to do your last film before you died that was one hell of a way of doing it. At times he was hilarious, at times he was incredibly scary, most of the time he was insane and every scene he was in he was absolutely sensational. If he wins an Oscar for his performance it won’t be a win because he is no longer with us it will be because it was the best performance of the year.

Christian Bale is forgotten about in a lot of reviews but I think he is the best Batman we’ve seen so far. Michael Keaton, George Clooney and Val Kilmer have all tried it in the past 20 years but they come no way near Christian Bale. As Bruce Wayne Christian Bale is the epitome of cool and as Batman he is the superhero we all want. The combination of Bale and Nolan strikes again and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the awesome duo make another fantastic movie.

Aaron Eckhart is definitely worth a mention too because his performance as Harvey Dent / Two Face is just as impressive as Bale’s portrayal of Batman. I’ve not really seen much of Eckhart before but I am pretty sure after his role of Harvey Dent we will be seeing much more of him. The rest of the cast is great too; Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine are better in The Dark Knight than previous film Batman Begins. My only gripe character wise was Maggie Gyllenhaal who I don’t think really pulled off the Rachel Dawes but thankfully she’s been killed off and didn’t get much air time in The Dark Knight.

I wake up Sunday morning pretty excited about the film still and read some of the morning papers and feel pretty disgusted at some of the reviews of The Dark Knight. One newspaper (The Daily Mail) claim it was “far too long and far too complicated”, what the fuck? Too long? Erm, the last Lord of the Rings film was an hour longer but that was critically acclaimed and won shit load of Oscars. Too complicated? Are you thick? Another quote from a horrible tabloid (News of the World) suggested “the film lacked a love story” since when has Batman been about love? The film is called The Dark Knight for fucks sake. Oh yeah and the best quote (once again from The Daily Mail) was “Christian Bale needs to appeal more to the 12 to 14 year girls, he has to be dreamy”. Oh please, pass me a bucket. This is not a teen movie you toss pot.

Overall this is the must seen film of 2008 and I think in 20 years time this film will remain a classic blockbuster superhero smash.

* * * * * * * * * *

No comments: