Thursday 3 July 2008

Glastonbury 2008


This time last year I was regretting not going to Glastonbury although I did have an A-Level English Language exam on the Monday afternoon so that would’ve made it pretty difficult anyway. However I said as soon as it finished and I’d watched as much coverage as humanly possible that weekend that I would definitely go the next year. Fast forward to the beginning of 2008 festival rumours were beginning to come out and the big talking point was of course the Glastonbury headliners. Radiohead were talked about and everyone thought it would be them headlining one of the nights and I began myself getting excited about the thought of heading to Glastonbury.

So where was I last weekend? At home. Why? Well I think the line up pretty much sums up my reasoning for not going and of course the weather, which this year was actually good in Glastonbury’s recent history. Now it would be easy to blame Jay-Z for the lack of sales this year and for me not going but fuck it I am going to blame Jay-Z. That Saturday night could and should’ve been filled by Radiohead, if so then I would’ve been there and so would hundreds / thousands of others.

Last Friday night I sat down pressed the red button on my remote ready to watch some good Glasto coverage but what I got was mediocrity upon mediocrity. The choice was so bland and boring it made me sick to think these bands are even gracing the great Glastonbury stages. On the red button it was a choice between watching The Fratelli’s, The Enemy or Reverend and the Makers. My goodness what has the world come to when you have to choose out of those three bands? I think I’d rather watch TV coverage of paint drying.

I mean that put me right off even watching anymore footage but I thought no I would give it another go. So I tuned in late Saturday night to witness Jay-Z “performing” on BBC Two and on BBC Three Amy Winehouse “singing”. I wasn’t sure which was worse… no actually Amy Winehouse is far worse. Sunday night didn’t get much better with The Verve (Richard Ashcroft) boring me and thousands of others I’m sure. Of course there was some really great artists playing: Yeasayer, Edwyn Collins, Mystery Jets, Battles, Sons and Daughters, MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Los Campesinos all come to mind. But how much of their sets were covered? Out of those listed I only saw one song by MGMT and one song by Vampire Weekend. Pretty poor, BBC, piss poor.

Oh yeah and how fucking annoying is Annie Mac? God her voice just grates on me and she has no personality what-so-ever and is lacking any sort of charisma or charm to be a good presenter, stick to fucking Radio late night so we don't have to listen to you. Grimshaw is slightly better, but after an hour or so his voice gets on your nerves and appears to be everywhere at the moment which is not helping his annoying cause. So Eavis (and the BBC) sort it out next year, book some proper headliners and stop trying to appeal to “the kids”. For fuck sake.

No comments: