Sunday 13 July 2008

What Ever Happened? (Part Two)

Icelandic six-piece Jakobinarina were one of the first bands I saw when I moved to London and their album ‘The Last Crusade’ is definitely worth a mention for one of the most enjoyable albums of 2007. They are a really fun band live and I was really shocked when I found out that they were splitting up. It seemed like they were getting some good press, growing a pretty good fan base and getting around the country touring. Who can forget songs like ‘His Lyrics Are Disastrous’, ‘Jesus’, ‘This Is An Advertisement’, ‘Monday I’m Vain’ and ‘17’. It’s a real shame that Jakobinarina are no longer together…

Voxtrot released two of my favourite EP’s the first one in 2005 titled ‘Raised by Wolves’ which included such songs as ‘Missing Pieces’, ‘Raised By Wolves’ and my favourite song ‘The Start Of Something’. Second EP from 2006 ‘Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives’ was as good as the previous EP if not better. Outstanding songs from that release were the likes of self titled track ‘Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives’, ‘Soft & Warm’, ‘Fast Asleep’, ‘Rise Up In The Dirt’ and ‘Four Long Days’. Actually, that EP did not include a weak song and all five songs on the EP could have been singles quite comfortably. When the album was announced I was very excited about a full release from a band who had offered so much from those first two EP’s. However the album was a big disappointment to me and did not do well in many music publication and websites. There was not one song from the first two EP’s on the album which is something I admire, but the quality of songs on the album was nothing like the first two EP’s. I am not sure where the band will go from that disappointment, but obviously the only way is up.

Twisted Charm’s album ‘Real Fictional’ was purchased for me at Christmas 6 months ago and it has to have been my favourite present. Mainly because I’d looked for it everywhere and it was always out of stock or really expensive. I had already heard the album for a few months and really loved their sound and that album remains one of my favourites. An album packed with snarling songs like ‘Socialite’, ‘Cinema’, ‘Layabout’, ‘Boring Lifestyles’, ‘Clone Baby’, ‘London Scene?’, ‘Broken Girl’ and ‘Television Nation’. Twisted Charm’s take on society, media and culture was one that not many other bands were doing at the time. The bizarre fashion in which way they were doing was something that really appealed to me, and when I put that record on it still does. Sadly not many other people brought into their style and sound and I am not sure if they’ll be able to release a second album. This is disgusting when you consider bands like The Pigeon Detectives, The Fratelli’s etc are all pumping out tripe and the sad thing is people are buying it too. We can only hope Twisted Charm get another go at an album because I’m intrigued to see what they would do.

No comments: