Friday 18 July 2008

2008 Albums: Blood Red Shoes - Box of Secrets


Blood Red Shoes are one of my favourite bands to watch live, in fact I would go as far as saying of 2008 they are the best new live band. They are one of the tightest bands I’ve ever witnessed, every single drum beat, vocal and chord is in time and perfect to how they sound on record. Steven Ansell is one of the best new drummers around because not only does he thump his drums as hard as anyone I’ve seen he also delivers some great lyrics. Laura-May Carter is a pretty impressive guitar player and a very good front woman.

‘Box of Secrets’ is one of those albums I expect that many people will over look from 2008 and I think it will go down as an underrated album from this year. I doubt it will end up on many people’s top albums of the year polls, which is a shame because you can really tell Blood Red Shoes have put a lot of effort into the album.

‘Doesn’t Matter Much’ gets the album off to a pretty hefty start with some pretty loud guitars and some thumping drums. That sound continues pretty much throughout the whole album and you have to admire the noise two people can make with just drums and a guitar. Blood Red Shoes are so far from The White Stripes it’s unbelievable but the comparisons are always made by stupid music journalists. I’d say The Subways would be a more apt comparison because drummer Steve sounds quite similar to Billy lead singer of the Subways.

‘You Bring Me Down’, ‘Say Something Say Anything’ and ‘I Wish I Was Someone Better’ are three of the singles from the album and easily three of the best songs from the album. The last of the three being my favourite and at one point last year it was the only song I was listening to. Stunning drumming, rip roaring guitars, perfect harmonies along with some great lyrics make the song one of the best songs from 2007.

The good songs don’t stop at track number 5 though because the next four songs are just as impressive as the last four. ‘Take The Weight’, ‘A.D.H.D’, ‘This Is Not For You’ and of course last summer’s smash ‘It’s Getting Boring By The Sea’ are just four of the reasons why Blood Red Shoes are one of the best new British bands on the circuit.

8/10

No comments: