Friday 18 July 2008

2008 Albums: These New Puritans - Beat Pyramid


I expected great things from These New Puritans debut album ‘Beat Pyramid’. I remember a couple of months before the album was released hearing the split single ‘Colours’ / ‘Numbers’ and thinking how fantastic they were and it got me very excited about the album. That same week I went to see them live for free supporting Foals and although none of the crowd were into them and to begin with they messed up a song they impressed me a lot.

There are not many bands around at the moment like These New Puritans; in fact there are no bands around currently like These New Puritans. The first two songs (ignoring the intro song) are ‘Colours’ and ‘Numbers’ and they get the album off to an extremely good start. So I am listening to wait for when the album is going to hit its weak spot, but that doesn’t really happen.

When it was first released 6 months ago I couldn’t stop listening to it but since then I’ve not really put it on much. However recently I’ve had it back on and I know it is going to be one of those albums I will go back too a lot. Which is definitely a compliment because albums I do that with are albums like Joy Division’s ‘Unknown Pleasures’, The Smiths ‘Meat is Murder’ and Pixies ‘Doolittle’. So they are in pretty fucking good company there… Comparisons wise The Fall obviously are the one everybody uses (including me in the past) but the more I listen to the album the less I think they sound like The Fall.

‘Swords of Truth’ and ‘Elvis’ are two more of the more stand out tracks and definitely the easier songs to listen to for new listeners of These New Puritans, especially ‘Elvis’ which is probably their biggest “hit”, I say “hit” very loosely, of course. Other songs like ‘C. 16th +-’, ‘En Papier’, ‘4 Pounds’ and ‘Infinity Ytinifni’ are amongst the other great tracks on ‘Beat Pyramid’.

These New Puritans have made an album that is definitely like no other out this year, or that has been out for a while. I’m very impressed with them as a band and I look forward to hearing what they will do in the future.

9/10

No comments: