Tuesday 29 July 2008

Noah and The Whale - Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down


When I first heard Noah and the Whale at the tail end of last year I was pretty hooked on the sound that they had. I really liked the folk sound that they possessed and I was really interested in lead singer Charlie’s vocals. Firstly I heard ‘5 Years Time’ which is quite easily one of the best summer songs I’m to hear from a new band. I always worried that ‘5 Years Time’ would be their peak, the one song which you listen to and nothing else. With this album I thought maybe you’d listen through and really only consider that song as the standout track.

I was wrong ‘Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down’ has some really beautiful moments on it and with the album the band have proved that they are not just a one hit band. Noah and the Whale are going to be one of those bands that on record I thoroughly enjoy listening to but live I just don’t think it’s the same. I’ve seen them live and unfortunately I found them quite boring, however on record they are very, very good.

The suns out and you are lying with your eyes closed with headphones on and songs like ‘Shape Of My Heart’ are perfect. They make you feel giddy inside and feel you up with a great sense of warmth. ‘Jocasta’ is yet another song which I really love listening to when the sun is beaming on my window and I’m looking out with this song in the background.

‘2 Atoms In A Molecule’ is the opening track of the album and really starts the album off very well. At 2 minutes 4 seconds it is the perfect Noah and the Whale song; clever and at the same time sweet lyrics. Further into the album ‘Rocks And Daggers’ is a really great song to follow, “I’m thankful for the love these rocks have always given” Noah and the Whale are big fan of rocks and I am too, especially those smooth little ones you can skim on the water. In fact this song reminds me of being on a beach in England skimming those very stones across the water.

‘Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down’ is a good start for Noah and the Whale. There is some strong songs on the album and find me someone who doesn’t like ‘5 Years Time’, ‘Rocks and Daggers’ and Jocasta’ and I’ll call them a liar. Despite this there are some weaker moments to the album which is why it won’t appear on my top albums of the year list and probably not many others.

7/10

No comments: