Thursday 17 July 2008

2008 Albums: Why - Alopecia


Much like the No Age album – Nouns this album came to me without any knowing of this band or any know of the release. I think that is why I enjoyed the album so much, I had never heard a single song by the band and decided to download the album (don’t worry Why? I’ve now gone on to purchase the album, see try before you buy works). I think I downloaded the album based on 1. The name of the band 2. The name of the album and 3. The artwork is pretty fucking cool.

Many blogs I’ve read have said this is their favourite album of the year and have given it 10 out of 10 which is quite some statement because those blogs I’ve read probably didn’t know much about this band before 2008. ‘Alopecia’ was released back in March and did pretty well in most music publications.

The thing about Why? is that I can’t define them to a single genre; there is no way you can pigeon hole the band. Which is what makes them and this album so fascinating, Wikipedia classes the band as “abstract hip hop” which is a genre I’ve never heard of let alone been interested in. Either way ‘Alopecia’ is a pretty fine piece of music.

‘Fatalist Palmistry’, ‘The Vowels, Pt 2’, ‘The Hollows’ and ‘Brook And Waxing’ are my favourite tracks from the album because all four songs offer something a little different to each other. You find that when you listen to ‘Alopecia’ you will rarely find a song that sound similar to another one. Quite a rare trait for a 45 minute, 14 track album.

I wouldn’t class ‘Alopecia’ as my favourite album of 2008 however it certainly is one of my favourites and definitely one that I’d recommend to anyone who can appreciate good music. I am glad I discovered this band and this album, and I definitely class Why? as one of the discovery’s of 2008.

8.5/10

3 comments:

TROUBLED BY INSECTS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shaun said...

aye yeah, that'll be from the Jesus. seems to be a small little community of bloggers from the DJ actually.

Unknown said...

Its a shame so few people had heard of Why? before this album. You should really check out Clouddead (a group Why? was involved in before) and the Why? album directly before this one, Elephant Eyelash... You won't be disappointed.