Thursday 7 August 2008

Do The Splits

Eight months into 2008 and there already have been several casualties with bands, some good bands but mainly bad ones. August saw the announcement that Nashville rockers Be Your Own Pet announced they are splitting up. From all the splits this year the Be Your Own Pet split certainly saddens me the most because on record and live they were one of the best new and young bands around. Live they have so much energy and the self titled album is a great debut album and despite some criticism I really enjoyed the follow up ‘Get Awkward’.

Wolfmother have just announced they will no longer be recording music together and the members will go their separate ways. I am pretty sure we will see that big afro of Andrew Stockdale back one day but just not with Wolftmother. I can’t say I am that disappointed about this split because Wolfmother were not a band I really had much excitement about.

Earlier on in the year Mumm-Ra announced that after several years of constant recording and touring they would split up. Like the Wolfmother split I wasn’t terribly upset about this despite them having a couple of good songs. Northampton band The Departure announced they would no longer be recording as The Departure. This was something I was expecting for some while although their debut album ‘Dirty Words’ was a pretty good album you could never see the band lasting very long in the industry. The Dead 60s were another band to announce their split this year which was something that like The Departure did not surprise me. The first album was very listenable with some really good songs but the second album was absolutely terrible.

The final band to mention is Big Scary Monsters band Meet Me In St. Louis who I always really liked. Sadly I never got to see them live which was where I’m informed they were at their best. I am sure the members of Meet Me In St. Louis will be back in other forms however their legacy as one of the best post-hardcore bands from this country.

No comments: