Wednesday 13 August 2008

Blast From The Past: The Rolling Stones


It took me a long time to really get into The Rolling Stones for a reason I have no idea. The old argument always rears its ugly head when talking about The Stones… y’know the one, Beatles or Stones? For me it’s The Rolling Stones every single time, don’t get me wrong I do like The Beatles and they have some great songs. However The Rolling Stones just have this edgy appeal and I really love their classic rock and roll sound. It's not too very long for The Stones to become one of my favourite bands of all time.

What I found hard was where to begin with getting into The Rolling Stones because the back catalogue is absolutely huge. It’s very hard to know where to start with a band that has changed its sound over the years. Thankfully there is a really, really good collection called ‘Rolled Gold Plus’ which features all the great Stones songs and really concentrates on their early career which for most is when they were at their best.

I always imagine myself being around in the 60’s and really, really adoring The Rolling Stones, it would’ve been so easy to back then because there wasn’t as much competition as there is today. The Rolling Stones are one of those special bands that only come around every 40 years or so. Actually I would suggest there has never been a band quite like The Rolling Stones.

When you listen to ‘Rolled Gold Plus’ you pretty much will not skip a song (obviously if you like the band) however some of my favourite songs include ‘Come On’, ‘I’m Free’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘It’s All Over Now’ to name four that come to mind.

Other songs like ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’, ‘Paint It Black’, ‘Sympathy For The Devil’, ‘Jumpin’ Jack Flash’, ‘Gimme Shelter’ and ‘Brown Sugar’ are more recognised songs. Obviously those songs mentioned are classic songs and ones that people will associate with The Rolling Stones.

However to me songs like ‘Get Off My Cloud’, ‘Play With Fire’, ‘Yesterday’s Papers’, ‘Time Is On My Side’ and ‘Let’s Spend The Night Together’ are just as good if not better than the more famous Stones tracks. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are two of the most iconic rock legends of all time and there is no question that The Rolling Stones are considered one of the greatest bands of all time. They definitely deserve that label especially when you consider the band have been going for 46 years!

1 comment:

Tim said...

Totally agree. Gimme Shelter is bloody epic.