Sunday 1 June 2008

Eurovision 2008

Understandably this post should’ve come seven days ago however I’ve been up to my eyes in work (hahahaha). It’s just late and I got a spur to write about it mainly because my girlfriend purchased the newest Sebastien Tellier album today and we listened to it on the car on the way home.

Anyway back on track; the Eurovision contest is always a great laugh usually because a mixture of Terry Wogan’s commentary and the acts involved. It has become an absolute joke recently though and for all the wrong reasons. The Eurovision is not about the music it’s all about politics and who is “in” with whom. What a surprise that countries such as Norway, Sweden, Iceland and Finland all voted for each other. Or that the Eastern block all voted for each other and who was surprised when Spain and Portugal gave each other the top points? Certainly not me.

I do not think the UK deserved to get any points considering the song this year was done by X-Factor reject and ex-bin man Andy. It was a dreadful song and the way Andy pranced around stage made you cringe to think he had kids watching him. The United Kingdom deserved nothing but surprisingly got 14 points (or something pathetic like that).

I actually can’t remember the song that won it anymore (which says a lot about the song) but remember that it was Russia and that Bosnia, Montenegro, Serbia etc all voted for Russia. IF the votes were purely based on how good the song was then Russia would’ve stood no chance. On music there was only one winner and that was France. Sebastien Tellier’s Divine was easily the best song eight days ago. How the hell he did not win is beyond me, the song stood out like a throbbing sore thumb compared to the “talent” it was up against.

Poor Sebastien, I am sure you’re gutted but do not worry Mr. Tellier because the rest of my family and I think you were ace. You are the real winner of Eurovision 2008.

No comments: